GENUKI Home page    Kirkdale Parish<br>main page Kirkdale
Parish
main page

KIRKDALE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRKDALE, a parish in the county of YORK, comprising the township of Norton, with a portion of Wombleton, within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, East riding, and the townships of Beadlam, Bransdale (West Side), Muscoates, Nawton, North Holme, Skiplam, Welburn, and a portion of Wombleton, in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding, of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.E. from Helmsley, and containing 1616 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 400 royal bounty, and 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Chancellor, Masters, and Scholars of the University of Oxford. The church contains some Norman portions, and the chancel is in the early style of English architecture: there is also some ancient stained glass. In the wall over the south door is a stone bearing a Saxon inscription commemorative of the purchase and repairs of St. Gregory's church here in the reign of the Confessor. From this circumstance the church has been called a Saxon edifice, but it is allowed that the stone has been removed from its original situation, and inserted in the wall for its preservation: the church has lately received an addition of eighty free sittings, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted 30 towards defraying the expense. In a cave near this place, three hundred feet in extent, and from two to five feet in height and breadth, various fossil remains of an hyena, elephant, rhinoceros, hippopotamus, and other animals, were found in 1820."


"BEADLAM, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKDALE, which is in the wapentake of RYEDAIE, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E. from Helmsley, containing 143 inhabitants."


"BRANSDALE WESTSIDE, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKDALE, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.W. from Helmsley, containing 286 inhabitants."


"MUSCOATES, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKDALE, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.S.E. from Hehnsley, containing 65 inhabitants."


"NAWTON, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKDALE, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E. from Helmsley, containing 333 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"NORTH HOLME, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKDALE, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.N.E. from Helmsley, containing 24 inhabitants."


"SKIPLAM, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKDALE, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E.N.E. from Helmsley, containing 170 inhabitants."


"WELBURN, a township in that part of the parish of KIRKDALE, which is in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Helmsley, containing 112 inhabitants."


"WOMBLETON, a township in the parish of KIRKDALE, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding, of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Helmsley, containing 265 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014