Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Kirkdale:

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

In 1822, the following places were in the Parish of Kirkdale:


"BEADLAM, in the parish of Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 1½ miles WSW. of Kirkdale, 3 miles WSW. of Kirkbymoorside. Population, 143,"


"BOWFORTH, a farm house in the parish of Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 1½ miles SSE. of Kirkdale, 2 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside."


"BRANSDALE, EAST & WEST SIDE, a dale in the parishes of Kirkbymoorside and Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 8¼ miles NNW. of Kirkbymoorside. The East-side of which is in the township of Farndale, High-Quarter, and in Kirkbymoorside parish; and the West-side, a township of itself, in Kirkdale parish; Here is a Chapel of Ease, of which the Rev. Henry King, is curate. Population of East, 455; of West, 286 ; total, 741." - -(See Kirkbymoorside for directory)


"EWE COTE, a farm house in the parish of Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 2 miles W. of Kirkdale, 3 miles NW. of Kirkbymoorside."


"HAGG, a farm house in the parish of Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 1 mile N. of Kirkdale, 2¼ miles WNW. of Kirkbymoorside."


"MUSCOATES, in the parish of Kirkdale and wapentake of Rydale; 3½ miles SSE. of Kirkdale, 4½ miles S. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 65."


"NAWTON, in the parish of Kirkdale, wapentake of Rydale, and liberty of St. Peter's (the seat of Thomas Whytehead, Esq.); 1½ miles WSW. of Kirkdale, 3½ miles ENE. of Helmsley. Here is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. Pop. with Wombleton, 816."


"NAWTON LODGE, (a Shooting-box of Thomas Duncombe, Esq.) In the township of Nawton, and parish of Kirkdale; 2¾ miles NW. of Kirkdale, 4 miles from Helmsley, 4 miles WNW. of Kirkbymoorside. (later called Nawton Tower)."


"SKIPLAM, in the parish of Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 1½ miles NW. of Kirkdale, 2 miles WNW. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 170."


"SOUTH FIELD, in the parish of Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 2¼ miles SSE. of Kirkdale, 3 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside."


"WELBURN, in the parish of Kirkdale, & wapentake of Rydale; (Welburn Hall, the seat of the late Rev. John Robinson.) 1½ miles SW. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 112."


"WETHER COTE, a farm house in the parish of Kirkdale, and wapentake of Rydale; 2¾ miles NW. of Kirkdale, 4 miles NW. of Kirkbymoorside."


"WOMBLETON, in the parish of Kirkdale, wapentake of Rydale, partly in the liberty of St. Peter's; 1¼ miles SSW. of Kirkdale, 3 miles SW of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 265."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]