GENUKI Home page    Kirkleatham Parish<br>main page Kirkleatham
Parish
main page

KIRKLEATHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1834.

"KIRKLEATHAM, is a village and township, in the parish of its name, in the same division and liberty as Skipton, about four miles and a half n.n.w. from Guisborough ; situate near the mouth of the Tees, and is chiefly celebrated for its hospital, founded and endowed by Sir William Turner, for the maintenance of forty poor persons, viz. ten men and ten women, and an equal number of boys and girls. There are a chaplain, a master, a mistress, a surgeon, and a nurse, who have salaries and apartments in the hospital ; the annual income of which amounts to about 1,600. An elegant chapel adorns the centre of the building, and over the altar is a splendid painting on glass. By means of a bequest made by Sir William Turner, a building for a free grammar school was erected in 1709, by the nephew of the donor. There are, however, no scholars at present on the foundation, the premises being occupied by poor families rent free. The church is a handsome structure, dedicated to St. Cuthbert ; the living is a discharged vicarage, in the gift of Henry Vansittart, esq. The parish contained, at the last census, 1,074 inhabitants, and the township 663 of that number. Lofthouse is a village, in the parish of its name, (having no dependent township), in the same division and liberty as Skelton, pleasantly situate about five miles e.n.e. from that town and 9 from Guisborough. The vicinity abounds with stone and alum rocks, the latter being worked to a considerable extent by Sir Robert Dundas, under the able management of Mr. William Hunton, and afford constant employment to nearly one hundred persons, thereby contributing largely towards the suppport of the village. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard ; the living is a rectory, in the gift of the crown, and incumbency of the Rev. Sir William Mursay, bart. Here are two Sunday schools, zealously superintended by the Rev. James Bruce, minister of the chapel for independents here. A customary market is held on Thursday, but it is by no means considerable. The parish contained, in 1821, 1,178 inhabitants, and in 1831, 1,038.
Please see Skelton in Cleveland Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish. (Under Skelton)"

[Transcribed by Steve Garton 2000 from
Pigot's directory (Yorkshire section) 1834]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014