"KIRKLEATHAM, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Kirk- Leatham and Wilton, and containing 1091 inhabitants, of which number, 686 are in the township of Kirk- Leatham, 4 miles N.N.W. from Guilsborough. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Henry Vansittart, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. A free grammar school was founded by means of a bequest of £5000 from Sir W. Turner, lord mayor of London in 1669, and erected, in 1709, by his nephew, Cholmeley Turner, Esq.; the income is about £350 per annum, of which a master receives a stipend of £100, and an usher one of £50 per annum, but for a very considerable length of time no scholars have been admitted, the building being occupied in separate tenements, rent-free, by poor families. Sir W. Turner likewise erected and endowed a splendid hospital, for the maintenance of forty poor people, viz., ten-men and ten women, and an equal number of boys and girls. John Turner, Esq., Serjeant at law, bequeathed a sum of money for clothing each child on leaving the institution, which is under the sole direction of Henry Vansittart, Esq., in right of his wife; there are a chaplain, a master and a mistress, a surgeon, and a nurse, who have handsome salaries, and apartments in the hospital, the annual income of which is about £1600. An elegant chapel adorns the centre of the building, the roof being supported by four light Ionic pillars; and from the centre is suspended a chandelier of burnished gold;> over the altar is one of the finest paintings on glass in the world, representing the offerings of the Magi. A commodious library is furnished with valuable works, and in a handsome case is a likeness of Sir W. Turner in wax, with the wig and band he used to wear: he was buried in the chancel of the church among the poor of the hospital, and a monument has been erected to his memory at Lazenby in this parish. A chapel in honour of the Virgin Mary, with a chantry or hospital, was founded, in the reign of Edward I., by John de Lythegraynes, and Alice his wife, for a master and six chaplains; the revenue, at the dissolution, was valued at £9. 6. 8."
"EAST COATHAM, a hamlet in the parish of KIRKLEATHAM, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Guilsborough. The population is returned with the parish. East Coatham is a small fishing village near the mouth of the Tees, much resorted to for sea-bathing: the sands in the neighbourhood are well adapted for the promenade or the carriage 5 and the prospect is often rendered pleasing from the number of trading vessels sailing in the offing. There are several machines for sea-bathing, and accommodation can also be afforded for taking warm baths. The village consists of about seventy houses. A school for forty boys is supported by an income of £47, arising principally from the revenues of Kirkleatham school; and £12. 12. is also paid from the same fund to a schoolmistress, for teaching younger children."
"WILTON, a chapelry in the parish of KIRKLEATHAM, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.W. from Guilsbrough, containing 405 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale: The chapel is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. At the west end of the village is Wilton castle, recently erected upon the site of: the ancient baronial castle of the Bulmers, which family possessed it for many generations, till Sir John Buhner, Knt., was attainted of high treason, when his estates were confiscated."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016