"KIRKLEATHAM, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Kirk- Leatham and Wilton, and containing 1091 inhabitants, of which number, 686 are in the township of Kirk- Leatham, 4 miles N.N.W. from Guilsborough. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and £1200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Henry Vansittart, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. A free grammar school was founded by means of a bequest of £5000 from Sir W. Turner, lord mayor of London in 1669, and erected, in 1709, by his nephew, Cholmeley Turner, Esq.; the income is about £350 per annum, of which a master receives a stipend of £100, and an usher one of £50 per annum, but for a very considerable length of time no scholars have been admitted, the building being occupied in separate tenements, rent-free, by poor families. Sir W. Turner likewise erected and endowed a splendid hospital, for the maintenance of forty poor people, viz., ten-men and ten women, and an equal number of boys and girls. John Turner, Esq., Serjeant at law, bequeathed a sum of money for clothing each child on leaving the institution, which is under the sole direction of Henry Vansittart, Esq., in right of his wife; there are a chaplain, a master and a mistress, a surgeon, and a nurse, who have handsome salaries, and apartments in the hospital, the annual income of which is about £1600. An elegant chapel adorns the centre of the building, the roof being supported by four light Ionic pillars; and from the centre is suspended a chandelier of burnished gold;> over the altar is one of the finest paintings on glass in the world, representing the offerings of the Magi. A commodious library is furnished with valuable works, and in a handsome case is a likeness of Sir W. Turner in wax, with the wig and band he used to wear: he was buried in the chancel of the church among the poor of the hospital, and a monument has been erected to his memory at Lazenby in this parish. A chapel in honour of the Virgin Mary, with a chantry or hospital, was founded, in the reign of Edward I., by John de Lythegraynes, and Alice his wife, for a master and six chaplains; the revenue, at the dissolution, was valued at £9. 6. 8."
"EAST COATHAM, a hamlet in the parish of KIRKLEATHAM, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Guilsborough. The population is returned with the parish. East Coatham is a small fishing village near the mouth of the Tees, much resorted to for sea-bathing: the sands in the neighbourhood are well adapted for the promenade or the carriage 5 and the prospect is often rendered pleasing from the number of trading vessels sailing in the offing. There are several machines for sea-bathing, and accommodation can also be afforded for taking warm baths. The village consists of about seventy houses. A school for forty boys is supported by an income of £47, arising principally from the revenues of Kirkleatham school; and £12. 12. is also paid from the same fund to a schoolmistress, for teaching younger children."
"WILTON, a chapelry in the parish of KIRKLEATHAM, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.W. from Guilsbrough, containing 405 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale: The chapel is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. At the west end of the village is Wilton castle, recently erected upon the site of: the ancient baronial castle of the Bulmers, which family possessed it for many generations, till Sir John Buhner, Knt., was attainted of high treason, when his estates were confiscated."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]