"KIRKLEATHAM, a parish in the E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 2½ miles S. of Redcar, its post town and railway station on the Stockton and Darlington line, and 5 N.W. of Guisborough. In the reign of Edward I. a chantry was founded here by John de Lythegraynes for a master and six chaplains, the revenue of which at the Dissolution was valued at £9 6s. 3d. The village is situated near the river Tee's mouth. The parish contains the township of Wilton, and the hamlets of Yearby and East and West Coatham. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £88. The church, dedicated to St. Cuthbert, is a stone structure with a tower containing three bells. The roof of the church is supported by six columns of the Tuscan order. In the interior are several brasses, also a statue of John Turner, bearing date 1688. Near it is the marble tomb of Sir William Turner, Lord Mayor of London, bearing date 1669, and adjoining the N. side of the choir is the mausoleum erected by Cholmley Turner in 1740 in remembrance of his son, Marwood William Turner. There is also a district church at Coatham, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £50. The parochial charities produce £2,016, of which £290 goes to Turner's free grammar school, and £1,622 to his hospital, which is designed for the relief of 20 aged men and women, and the education of 20 boys and girls. The former are required to be single, and 63 years of age, the latter 8 years old, and remain until the age of 16 years. The chapel is highly decorated, and has an arched roof subdivided into compartments and supported by Ionic columns. There is a stained-glass window over the altar, and the floor is inlaid with marble. Above the houses inhabited by the sisters is a library, 60 feet long, containing 3,000 volumes of choice works."
"EAST COATHAM, (and West Coatham) hamlets in the township and parish of Kirkleatham, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles N. of Guisborough. Here is a coastguard station."
"LACKENBY, a hamlet in the chapelry of Wilton, and parish of Kirkleatham, North Riding of county York, 4 miles N.W. of Guisbrough."
"LAZENBY, a hamlet in the chapelry of Wilton, and parish of Kirkleatham, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Guisborough."
"WILTON, a township in the parish of Kirkleatham, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Guisborough, 3 from Redcar, and 8 from Stockton. At Lazenby, in this township, is a station on the Stockton and Darlington railway. This township, which is situated on the road from Stockton to Redcar, is bounded on the N. by the German Ocean, and contains the hamlets of Lackenby and Lazenby. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £150. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. Sir J. H. Lowther, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"YERBY, a hamlet in the parish of Kirkleatham, liberty of East Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Guisborough, near the river Tees' mouth."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016