GENUKI Home page    Kirklevington Parish<br>main page Kirklevington
Parish
main page

KIRKLEVINGTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRKLEVINGTON, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Castle- Leavington, Kirk-Leavington, Pickton, and Low Worsall, and containing 637 inhabitants, of which number, 282 are in the township of Kirk-Leavington, 2 miles S.S.E. from Yarm. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 200 royal bounty, and 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a small ancient structure."


"CASTLE LEVINGTON, a township in the parish of KIRKLEVINGTON, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.S.E. from Yarm, containing 44 inhabitants. Here was anciently a castle, but the eminence on which it stood, called Castle hill, is the only remaining vestige of its existence."


"LOW WORSALL, a township in the parish of KIRK-LEVINGTON, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.W. from Yarm, containing 217 inhabitants."


"PICKTON, a township in the parish of KIRK-LEVINGTON, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S. from Yarm, containing 94 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014