"KIRKLEVINGTON, a parish in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Yarm, and 6 S.W. of Stokesley. It is situated on the river Leaven, which rises under Bolton Head, in Cleveland, and joins the Tees below Yarm. The parish contains the townships of Castle-Leavington, Pickton, and Low Worsall. The village is considerable, but chiefly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £100, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Martin, is a small ancient structure. The charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a National school."
"CASTLE LEVINGTON, a township in the parish of Kirklevington, liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S. of Stockton. It is situated on a branch of the river Tees, near the North-Eastern railway, and was the site of a castle."
"LOW WORSALL, a township in the parish of Kirklevington, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Yarm. It adjoins the chapelry of High Worsall."
"PICKTON, a township in the parish of Kirklevington, W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Stokesley, and 4 S.W. of Yarm. It is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland section of the North-Eastern line of railway."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013