"CASTLE LEVINGTON, a township, in the parish of Kirklevington, west-division of Langbarugh; 1¼ miles ENE of Kirklevington, 3½ miles from Yarm, 5 from Stokesley. Mr. John Hewitt, occupies the house called the White Hall, and Mr. J. T. Sheraton, the Red Hall ; the mill is occupied by Mr. James Wren. Pop. 44.
Here is a large steep hill, called the Castle-Hill, from which Castle Levington probably derives its name. It is situated on the banks of the Leven, is of a circular form, characteristic of a Danish fortification, but no vestiges of any building have ever been discovered. --Graves."
"LOW WORSALL, (or East Worsall) in the parish of Kirklevington, wapentake & liberty of Langbargh; 2 miles W. of Kirklevington, 3 miles SSW. of Yarm. Pop. 217.
Here was an ancient fishery on the river Tees, which was given by Gilbert Hansard to the abbey of Rivaulx; this fishery with a cottage and parcel of ground adjoining, called Batt Ings, came afterwards into the possession of Major Norton, who sold the same 33rd Charles II. to George Marwood, Esq. --Graves"
"PICTON, in the parish of Kirklevington, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh ; 1½ miles SSW. of Kirklevington, 4 miles S. of Yarm. Pop. 94."
"RED HALL, a farm house in the township of Castle Levington, and parish of Kirk Levington; 1¼ miles ENE. of Kirklevington, 2 miles from Yarm.
In 1600, this was the residence of George Meryton, D.D. chaplain to Queen Anne, Dean of Peterborough and York. He died in 1624. -Graves."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]