GENUKI Home page    Kirklington Parish<br>main page Kirklington
Parish
main page

KIRKLINGTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"KIRKLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Kirklington with Upsland, Sutton with Howgrave, and East Tanfield, and containing 491 inhabitants, of which number, 337 are in the township of Kirklington with Upsland, 6 miles S.S.E. from Bedale. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 25. 7. 3., and in the patronage of the Countess of Ormond. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here is a small endowment for. a school, [the bequest of Lady Ormond. In the neighbourhood are vestiges of a Roman or Danish encampment."


"EAST TANFIELD, a township in the parish of KIRKLINGTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.W. from Ripon, containing 32 inhabitants."


"HOWGRAVE, a township, joint with Sutton, in the parish of KIRKLINGTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles W.S.W. from Thirsk, containing 122 inhabitants."


"SUTTON, a township, joint with Howgrave, in the parish of KIRKLINGTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N. from Ripon, containing 122 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"UPSLAND, a township joint with Kirklington, in the parish of KIRKLINGTON, wapentake of HALLIKELD, North riding of the county of YORK. The population is returned with Kirklington."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014