GENUKI Home page    Kirklington Parish<br>main page Kirklington
Parish
main page

KIRKLINGTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"KIRKLINGTON, (or Kirklington with Upsland), a parish in the wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 6 miles W. of Thirsk, 6 S.E. of Bedale, its post town, and 1 mile W. of the Sinderby railway station. It contains the townships of Kirklington, Sutton, and East Tanfield, where are the remains of a Danish encampment. The land is chiefly arable, with about 300 acres of woodland. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £1,034. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three bells. There is a National school."


"EAST TANFIELD, a township in the parish of Kirklington, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Ripon."


"HOWGRAVE, a hamlet in the parish of Kirklington, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 5½ miles N. of Ripon, 8 S.E. of Bedale, and 8 S.W. of Thirsk. It forms a township in conjunction with Sutton."


"SUTTON, a township in the parish of Kirklington, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Ripon,"


"SUTTON WITH HOWGRAVE, a township in the parish of Kirklington, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 5½ miles N. of Ripon, and 8 S.E. of Bedale."


"UPSLAND, a township in the parish of Kirklington, hundred of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Ripon. It is joined with Kirklington."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015