GENUKI Home page    Lastingham Parish<br>main page Lastingham
Parish
main page

LASTINGHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"LASTINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Rosedale-West-Side, and the townships of Appleton le Moors, Farndale-East- Side, Farndale High-Quarter, Hutton le Hole, Lastingham, and Spaunton, and containing 1834 inhabitants, of which number, 225 are in the township of Lastingham, 7 miles N.W. from Pickering. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 17. 7 6., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Mary.' A Benedictine monastery was founded here in honour of the Virgin Mary, about 648, by Cedd, Bishop of the East Saxons, of which the present church is probably the only vestige; underneath the choir is a vaulted crypt, the massive cylindrical columns and sculptured arches of which exhibit fine specimens of Norman architecture; the east end is circular, and at the west is a low tower; part of the church is in the Norman, and part in a later, style."


"APPLETON LE MOORS, a township in the parish of LASTINGHAM, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.N.E. from Kirkby- Moorside, containing 276 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"FARNDALE, a chapelry comprising the township of Farndale High Quarter, in the parish of LASTINGHAM., and the township of Farndale Low Quarter, in the parish of KIRKBYMOORSIDE, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 13 miles N.W. from Pickering, and containing 499 inhabitants."


"FARNDALE EASTSIDE, a township in the parish of LASTINGHAM, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.N.W. from Pickering, containing 455 inhabitants."


"HUTTON LE HOLE, a township in the parish of LASTINGHAM, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles W.N.W. from Pickering, containing 304 inhabitants."


"ROSEDALE WESTSIDE, a chapelry in the parish of LASTINGHAM, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.N.W. from Pickering, containing 179 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with 200 private benefaction, 600 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Middleton. The chapel is dedicated to St. Lawrence. A convent of Benedictine, or Cistercian, nuns, in honour of St. Mary and St. Lawrence, was founded here in the reign of Richard I., by Robert, son of Nicholas de Stutevil, which at the dissolution possessed a revenue of 41. 13. 8."


"SPAUNTON, a township in the parish of LASTINGHAM, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from Pickering, containing 109 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014