GENUKI Home page    Lastingham Parish<br>main page Lastingham
Parish
main page

LASTINGHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"LASTINGHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Pickering, its post town and railway station, and 4 N.E. of Kirby-Moorside. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, is situated on the river Severn, and contains the townships of Appleton-le-Moors, Farndale East Side, Hutton-le-Hole, Rosedale West Side, and Spaunton. It was given by King Ethelbald to Bishop Cedd, who founded a monastery here, which, after the Conquest, was removed to York. A great portion of the land is in moor, and about 800 acres of heath. The soil is sandy and loamy. The village is considerable, but wholly agricultural. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value 280, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure with a tower. Underneath the choir is a vaulted crypt, with massive cylindrical columns and sculptured arches; it is entered through a trapdoor. The church contains a font of great antiquity and an altarpiece representing Christ in the garden of Gethsemane, by John Jackson, R.A., a native of this parish. Besides the parish church there are chapels-of-ease at Farndale East Side, and Farndale High Quarter. The charities produce about 15 10s. per annum, of which 10 is a bequest for education. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a chapel, in which a Sunday-school is also held. H. B. Darley, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"APPLETON LE MOORS, a township in the parish of Lastingham, wapentake of Ryedale, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.W. of Pickering. It is situated on the river Severn. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists."


"FARNDALE EAST SIDE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Lastingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 7 miles S. of Castleton, and 8 N. of Kirkby Moorside, its post town. Here is a chapel of ease; also a parochial school with a small endowment. Lord Feversham is lord of the manor."


"HUTTON LE HOLE, a township in the parish of Lastingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of Pickering, and 2 N. of Kirby-Moorside. It is situated on a branch of the river Rye, and contains Thaunton Lodge. The soil is sandy and mixed with limestone. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. H. B. Darley, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"ROSEDALE WEST SIDE, a township in the parish of Lastingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 11 miles N.W. of Pickering. It is situated near Rosedale, East Side, and had in Richard I.'s time a convent founded by Robert de Stuteville for Cistercian nuns, which at the Dissolution was valued at 42. Through the recent discovery of ironstone of excellent quality in the neighbourhood, this village has considerably improved. The dale is much resorted to in summer by pleasure parties. The soil is of various qualities, but tolerably fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 94. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence."


"SPAUNTON, a township in the parish of Lastingham, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.W. of Pickering."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014