Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for LEAKE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LEAKE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"LEAKE, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Thirsk its post town, and 5½ S.E. of Northallerton railway station. It contains the townships of Leake, Borrowby, Gueldable, Crosby, Landmoth-with-Catto, Knayton-with-Brawith, and Nether Silton. This was a considerable town prior to its being ravaged by the Conqueror, but is now a small village. The ancient mansion of the Danby family, in which there are some interesting paintings on the panels, is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage with the perpetual curacy of Nether Silton annexed, in the diocese of York, value £280, in the patronage of the Bishop of Ripon. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. On the front of the tower is a sun-dial rudely carved. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum. In the churchyard several stone coffins have been dug up, supposed to have contained the remains of Saxon or Danish warriors."


"BORROWBY, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Thirsk. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village, and there are charitable endowments, chiefly for education, producing £8 per annum."


"BRAWITH, a hamlet in the parish of Leake, and wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Thirsk. It is joined with the township of Knayton. The principal residence is Brawith Hall."


"CATTO, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Northallerton. It is joined with the township of Landmoth."


"CROSBY, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S.E. of Northallerton, and 3 from Bedale, its post town."


"GUELDABLE, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding of county York, 6 miles S.E. of Northallerton."


"KNAYTON WITH BRAWITH, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Northallerton, and 3½ N. of Thirsk. The village is considerable. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."


"LANDMOTH WITH CATTO, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 4½ miles S.E. of Northallerton, its post town and railway station. It contains Cotcliffe Wood."


"NETHER SILTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Thirsk, its post town, and 7 E. of Northallerton. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Leake. The Wesleyans have a chapel."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013