GENUKI Home page    Leake Parish<br>main page Leake
Parish
main page

LEAKE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"LEAKE, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Thirsk its post town, and 5 S.E. of Northallerton railway station. It contains the townships of Leake, Borrowby, Gueldable, Crosby, Landmoth-with-Catto, Knayton-with-Brawith, and Nether Silton. This was a considerable town prior to its being ravaged by the Conqueror, but is now a small village. The ancient mansion of the Danby family, in which there are some interesting paintings on the panels, is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage with the perpetual curacy of Nether Silton annexed, in the diocese of York, value 280, in the patronage of the Bishop of Ripon. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing three bells. On the front of the tower is a sun-dial rudely carved. The parochial charities produce about 15 per annum. In the churchyard several stone coffins have been dug up, supposed to have contained the remains of Saxon or Danish warriors."


"BORROWBY, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N. of Thirsk. The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village, and there are charitable endowments, chiefly for education, producing 8 per annum."


"BRAWITH, a hamlet in the parish of Leake, and wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles to the N. of Thirsk. It is joined with the township of Knayton. The principal residence is Brawith Hall."


"CATTO, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the E. of Northallerton. It is joined with the township of Landmoth."


"CROSBY, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S.E. of Northallerton, and 3 from Bedale, its post town."


"GUELDABLE, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding of county York, 6 miles S.E. of Northallerton."


"KNAYTON WITH BRAWITH, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Northallerton, and 3 N. of Thirsk. The village is considerable. The Wesleyans have a place of worship."


"LANDMOTH WITH CATTO, a township in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Northallerton, its post town and railway station. It contains Cotcliffe Wood."


"NETHER SILTON, a township and chapelry in the parish of Leake, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.E. of Thirsk, its post town, and 7 E. of Northallerton. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Leake. The Wesleyans have a chapel."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014