[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"LEVISHAM, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 5 miles N. of Pickering. Here is an ancient church (see Churches for photograph), the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Mrs. Skelton, of which the Rev. Robert Skelton, is the resident incumbent. There is also a free school endowed with £12. per annum. Population, 152."
"HOLE OF HORCUM, a cave, in the parish of Levisham, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 2 miles NNE. of Levisham, 7 miles NNE. of Pickering."
"NEWTON DALE, the west-side of this dale is in the township of Newton, and parishes of Pickering and Levisham, wapentake and liberty of Pickering Lythe; 7 miles N. of Pickering."
Transcripts of the Parish registers, all the census returns from 1841 - 1901, plus a lot more Levisham material is available in the Levisham Village Archive. For more information, please contact Betty Halse by email.