"LEVISHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 6 miles N. of Pickering, its post town, and 1 mile E. of the Levisham station on the Whitby branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of loam and sand on a subsoil of limestone and clay. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £120. The church is a stone edifice, rebuilt' in 1804, and contains two bells. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum, which goes to the free school, built in 1799. A Sunday-school is also held in the free schoolroom. James Walker, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013