Parish main page
Wapentake of Pickering Lythe - Petty Sessional Division of Pickering Lythe West - Electoral Division of Thornton - Poor Law Union of Pickering - County Court District and Rural Deanery of Malton - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish contains 2,962 acres, including moorland, of which there are about 1,500 acres. The surface is hilly; the soil a varied mixture of loam, lime, and sand, and generally fertile. Limestone and freestone are quarried, and iron ore was wrought for some time, but the undertaking did not prove remunerative. The landowners are R. H. Harding, Esq., Thomas Harrison, Esq., Matthew Dixon, John Close, and William Stead, yeomen, and Mrs. Matthew Mercer. The manorial rights belong to C. G. Johnson, Esq., Croft; Francis D. Johnson, Esq., Aykley Heads, Durham; and Henry Hood, Esq. Rateable value, £1,750; population, 105.
The village stands on an eminence overlooking the romantic valley of Newton Dale, six miles north of Pickering. This narrow valley, the sides of which are thickly covered with wood, is traversed by the Whitby and Pickering branch of the North Eastern railway, and there is a station about one mile from the village. The church, supposed to be dedicated to St. Mary, is a plain stone building, consisting of nave, chancel, and western turret. It stands in a very secluded part of the valley, and was rebuilt in 1804. The living is a rectory in the patronage of Miss R. Berry, and held by the Rev. T. H. Berry, B.A. Annual value, £140 with residence.
A chapel-of-ease was erected in the village in 1884, for the greater convenience of the inhabitants. It is a neat Gothic building with sittings for 50 persons, and cost £315. The parish church in the valley is used only during the summer months.
The Primitive Methodists have also a chapel, built in 1859.
The parish school, rebuilt in 1876, is now under a School Board, formed in January, 1878. It possesses an endowment of £11 a year, left by John Poad, in 1785.
The poor have the interest (£1 18s. 10d.) of £65, which is invested with the Charity Commissioners.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.