GENUKI Home page    Loftus Parish<br>main page Loftus
Parish
main page

LOFTUS:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"LOFTUS, a parish and small market town in the eastern division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Guisborough, and 9 S.E. of Redcar, its post town. The nearest railway station is Guisborough. It is situated on the coast of the German Ocean, and includes the hamlets of South Lofthouse, Street Houses, and Wapley. A priory for Benedictine nuns was founded in 1133 by the Percy family. In the parish are stone quarries, extensive alum works, and brick and tile kilns, which afford employment to the people. Although nominally a market town, Lofthouse is only an inconsiderable village. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of York, value 575, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church is an edifice of the present century, dedicated to St. Leonard. The parochial endowments produce about 9 per annum. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The Earl of Zetland is lord of the manor. Lofthouse hall is the principal residence. A customary market is held on Thursday."


"STREET HOUSES, a hamlet in the parish of Loftus, North Riding county York, 7 miles N.E. of Guisborough."


"WAPLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Loftus, North Riding county York, 8 miles E. of Guisbrough."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014