Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for LYTHE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

LYTHE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"LYTHE, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Barnby, Borrowby, Ellerby, Hutton-Mulgrave, Lythe, Nickleby, Newton- Mulgrave, and Ugthorpe, and containing 2194 inhabitants, of which number, 1134 are in the township of Lythe, 3 miles W.N.W. from Whitby. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £10. 12. 6., endowed with £1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald, and, although of modern appearance, is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Peter de Mauley obtained a weekly market to be held here, and a fair on the eve of the festival of St. Oswald, in the reign of Henry III., but both have been long disused."


"BARNBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Whitby, containing 270 inhabitants."


"BORROWBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles W.N.W. from Whitby, containing 64 inhabitants."


"ELLERBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.N.W. from Whitby, containing 80 inhabitants."


"HUTTON MULGRAVE, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W. from Whitby, containing 90 inhabitants."


"NEWTON MULGRAVE, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles W.N.W. from Whitby, containing 134 inhabitants."


"NICKLEBY, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.W. from Whitby, containing 147 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Independents."


"UGTHORPE, a township in the parish of LYTHE, eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W. from Whitby, containing 275 inhabitants. A Roman Catholic chapel was erected here about 1812."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]