GENUKI Home page    Lythe Parish<br>main page Lythe
Parish
main page

LYTHE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"LYTHE, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Whitby, its poet town, and 8 S.E. of Easington. The North-Eastern railway has a station at Whitby. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated on the north-eastern coast, and includes the townships of Barnby East, Borrowby, Ellerby, Goldsborough, Lythe, Hutton Mulgrave, Mickleby, Newton Mulgrave, and Ugthorpe, and the hamlet of Egton Bridge. Lythe was, at one time, a market town, and belonged to the Manley family. At Kettleness and Sandsend in this parish are extensive alum works, affording employment to a large number of the inhabitants. They have been carried on for above 250 years, and are now the property of the Marquis of Normanby. Jet is found along the sea-shore. The lofty cliff at Kettleness having become undermined, onn the night of December 17, 1829, glided down towards the sea, carrying with it the whole hamlet situated on its summit; but a vessel lying off the coast saved the inhabitants. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable, pasture, and woodland, with about 800 acres of unenclosed moor. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value with the curacy of Ugthorpe, 238, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is an ancient edifice, with a square tower, and has recently undergone considerable alterations. There is likewise the district church of Grosmont, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value 60, also in the patronage of the archbishop. The parochial charities produce about 7 per annum. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a chapel. There is a school for boys and girls, partly endowed. Mulgrave Castle, situated a little to the S. of the village, is surrounded by grounds of great extent; it is the seat of the Marquis of Normanby, who is lord of the manor."


"BARNBY, (or Barnby East), a township in the parish of Lythe, and liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles from Whitby."


"BORROWBY, a township in the parish of Lythe, lib: of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 10 miles to the N. W. of Whitby. It is not far from the coast."


"BRISCOE, a hamlet in the parish of Lythe, and liberty of Langbaurgh, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the N.W. of Whitby. It is seated on the sea-coast."


"ELLERBY, a township in the parish of Lythe, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Lythe, and 7 N.W. of Whitby. It is situated near the coast."


"GOLDSBROUGH, a hamlet in the township and parish of Lythe, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Whitby. It is situated close to the sea-coast. The Romans had a settlement here."


"HUTTON MULGRAVE, a township in the parish of Lythe, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Whitby. It is situated near Dursley Bay. Mulgrave Castle, the seat of the Marquis of Normanby, situated in the midst of a park, is a Gothic mansion with a lofty tower. Roman remains have been found here, including urns, &c."


"KETTLENESS, a hamlet in the township and parish of Lythe, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.W. of Whitby. It is situated near Runswick Abbey, and is remarkable for a cliff which took fire and burnt for two years. Here are alum works belonging to the Marquis of Normanby."


"MICKLEBY, a township in the parish of Lythe, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 6 miles W. of Whitby. It is situated near the sea-coast."


"MULGRAVE CASTLE, the seat of the Marquis of Normanby, in the township of Hutton-Mulgrave, and parish of Lythe, North Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Whitby. It is situated a little S. of Lythe village, near Runswick Bay, and gives title of earl to the marquis. Near it are the remains of a castle which belonged to Wada the Saxon, and was afterwards rebuilt in the reign of John, but was razed by order of parliament."


"MULGRAVE NEWTON, a township in the parish of Lythe, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Whitby. It is situated near Runswick Bay."


"NEWTON MULGRAVE, a township in the parish of Lythe, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 9 miles W. by N. of Whitby."


"NICKLEBY, a township in the parish of Lythe, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles VV. by N. of Whitby. The village is considerable. There is a place of worship for the Independents."


"SANDSEND, a hamlet in the township and parish of Lythe, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Whitby. It is a subport to Whitby."


"UGTHORPE, a township in the parish of Lythe, E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 7 miles W. of Whitby, and 4 N.W. of Lythe. A church was erected in 1856. The Roman Catholics have a chapel."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014