"MALTON, a market town and borough in Ryedale wapentake, north riding, is 214 miles from London, 84 from Manchester, 22 from Scarborough, 18 from York and Driffield, and eight from Pickering. By the Saxons this town was named Maldune, and in dooms-day book written Maltun, and distinguished from the 'Malton' where the priory stood. In the reign of King Stephen it was laid in ashes by the army under Archbishop Thurstan, and when rebuilt, acquired the name of New Malton. It was formerly governed by two bailiffs, but was deprived of its corporate privileges by a writ of Quo warrants, in the time of Charles II. since which period its municipal authorities have consisted of a bailiff and sub ordinate officers, who are chosen at the court leet of the lord of the manor (Earl Fitzwilliam) held annually at Michaelmas. The privilege of returning members to parliament has been enjoyed by this borough since the 23d of Edward I; the right of election is vested in the burgage holders; the borough bailiff is the returning officer, and the present representatives are Lord Normanby and John Charles Ramsden, Esq. Among the members which Malton has at different times sent to parliament, it has to rank two most celebrated men, viz. Edmund Burke and Henry Grattan; men, whose eloquence and talents have been the boast of their own and the admiration of other countries. The chief trade carried on here consists in coals, corn, butter, bacon, &c. large quantities of which are shipped down the Derwent to Hull, Leeds and Halifax, and some ultimately to London. The places of worship are two parochial chapels, St. Michael's and St. Leonard's, and the mother church at Old Malton, about a mile distant. The Wesleyan, independent and primitive Methodists, Baptists, and Quakers have-each a neat chapel, and there is an excellent national school for girls, and a free school fee boys, supported by subscriptions. Malton is pleasantly situated on the northern bank of the Derwent, and at the termination of a calcareous ridge, now called the 'Howardian hills.' The appearance of the town is neat and clean; the market place is large, and divided into two parts by the town hall and St. Michael's church. The country around is fertile, embellished by many genteel seats, and its agricultural state is very fine. The market day is on Saturday; and the annual fairs are on the Monday to Saturday before Palm Sunday, Saturday before Whitsuntide, Saturday before July 15th, October 11th and 12th, and the Saturday before Martinmas day. At the first of these fairs Is usually a fine show of horses, and it is at this period that the races are held. By the parliamentary returns for 1821 the population was, St. Leonard's parish, 2,339, St. Michael's, 1,666, and the parish of Old Malton, 1,064- total number of inhabitants in the two Maltons, 5,069."
Pigot's National Commericial Directory for 1828-29
by Colin Hinson ©2007