"MANFIELD, a parish partly in the western, but chiefly in the eastern, division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Darlington, containing, with the township of Cliffe, 493 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £6. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome ancient structure, with a fine tower. Here is a free school, with an endowment of £10 a year, payable out, of the income arising from the charity estate of the parish."
"CLIFFE, a township in that part of the parish of MANFIELD, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.W. from Darlington, containing 53 inhabitants. There is a Roman Catholic chapel at Cliffe Hall."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]