"MANFIELD, a parish in the hundred of East and West Gilling, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.W. of Darlington, its post town, and 11 E. of Richmond. It is situated on the river Tees, and on the great road from Catterickbridge to Piercebridge. The land is divided between arable and meadow, with about 80 acres of woodland. The soil is a strong clay upon a gravelly and sandy subsoil. This place is a meet for the Raby hounds. The impropriation belongs to the landowners. The living is a vicarage*in the diocese of Ripon, value £466, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower, containing a clock and three bells. The interior of the church contains a white stone font and pulpit, also an east window of rich design. The church was thoroughly restored at great expense in 1855. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a Free school for both sexes, endowed with an annuity of £42, for which a new school-house was erected in 1857. R. B. Wilson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"CLIFFE, a township in the parish of Manfield, in the wapentake of West Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles W. of Darlington, its post town. It is situated on the river Tees."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013