"MARRICK, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles W.S.W. from Richmond, containing 621 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with a rent-charge of £10, and £200 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £1500 parliamentary grant. W. Powlett, Esq. was patron in 1815. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, occupies part of the site of a Benedictine nunnery, founded in honour of the Blessed Virgin, by Roger de Asc, about the close of the reign of Stephen, and which at the dissolution had a revenue of £64. 16. 9 Two poor widows of this parish, not paupers, receive £5. 12. per annum from an institution called the Duke of Bolton's charity."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]