Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for MARRICK in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
- Post Office, Marrick; Miss M. Langstaff, postmistress. Letters via
Richmond daily, per foot
messenger, from Marske, at 10-25 a.m. There is a despatch every morning at 7-20. Letters
for Hurst arrive by foot post via Reeth, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays; and the
Wall Letter Box at the Board School is cleared on the same days at 12-0 noon.
MEMBERS OF THE MARRICK UNITED DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD.
- T. Bainbridge, chairman;
- W. Hodgson, vice-chairman; T. Dinsdale, C. Davison, and J. Hillary.
- Clerk to the Board, Francis J. Greathead, solicitor, Reeth.
- Meetings are held once a month, alternately, at Marrick and at Hurst.
Miscellany of trades
Marked 1 reside at Hurst; the rest at Marrick, or where specified.
- Blenkiron Mrs. Jane, Walker house
- 1 Cleminson George, miner
- 1 Fawcett Joseph, shopkeeper and farmer & vict., Dragon Inn
- Hakin John, grocer and road contractor
- 1 Hillary Thomas, joiner
- Hodgson Thomas, vict. and farmer, High Inn
- Hurst and New Forest Board School; Wm. C. Brittain, master (1)
- Ingram John, cowkeeper
- Jackson Mr. George
- Marrick Board School; George Lee, master and assistant overseer
- Mason Rev. John Wharton, B.A., The Vicarage
- 1 Metcalfe Mr. William
- Teasdale William, blacksmith
- Waggett Mr. Ralph
- Waggett William Anthony, agent to Colonel Francis Morley, Park lodge
- Whitell, Jane, shopkeeper
- Whitelock C., vict. and butcher, White Horse Inn
- 1 Yorkshire Lead Mining Co., Ltd., Hurst mines
- Alsop Edward, Green house
- Bainbridge Robert, Marrick abbey
- Bell William, Marrick lodge
- Brown Christopher, Low Oxque
- Brown James Chapman, Green house
- Brown John, Ing Head
- Brown Robert, Pry house
- Coates John Chapman, High Oxque
- Coates Thomas, Nun-Cote-Nook
- Dinsdale Thomas, Owlands
- 1 Dolphin Mrs, John (and stonemason, &c.)
- 1 Frankland Thomas, junr. (and gamekeeper)
- 1 Frankland Thomas, senr.
- Graham George, Stelling
- 1 Guy William, schoolmaster, Pasture
- 1 Hillary (Mrs. J.) & Alsop (F.) Gath Head
- 1 Hillary J. (and stonemason, &c.), Slack hills
- Hindson Thomas
- 1 Hodgson James
- Hodgson W. (yeo., and overseer and guardian)
- 1 Hodgson William, The Green
- 1 Hodgson Wm. (and shoemaker), Roan house
- Horn Mrs. Elizabeth, Marrick moor
- Horne John (and butcher), Barf house
- Ireland Thomas, Marrick park
- Metcalfe Thomas
- Peacock John
- Peacock William, Reals Head
- Pinkney Henry (and joiner), Wood house
- 1 Retallick John & Sons
- 1 Robinson James, Tongue hill
- Siddle William, Manor house
- Stubbs James, Stelling
- Whitelock Robert (yeo.), Ellers farm
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 18.55 on Sunday, 29 May 2011, by Colin Hinson. ©2011]