"MARSKE, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles W. from Richmond, containing 290 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £12. 6. 5. J.Hutton, Esq. was patron in 1808. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. A school, erected in 1814, by John Hutton, Esq., is endowed with about £20 per annum, arising from land and money given by John Jackson and - Hutchinson, for the education and support of the poor."