|Marske By The Sea
"MARSKE BY THE SEA, a parish in the E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 3 miles front Redcar, its nearest money-order office, and 6 N. of Guisborough. It is a station on the Stockton and Darlington section of the North-Eastern railway. The parish is situated on the coast, and contains the township of Redcar. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, value £376. The church, dedicated to St. Germain, stands near the edge of the cliff, and is a neat edifice with a spired tower. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Marske Hall is the principal residence. The Earl of Zetland is lord of the manor and principal landowner."
"REDCAR, a chapelry, fishing village, and post town in the parishes of Upleatham and Marske-by-the-Sea, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.N.E. of Guisborough, and 7½ N. of Middlesborough. It is a station on the Stockton and Darlington railway. It is a fishing village and bathing town situated at the mouth of the Tee, near the coast of the North Sea. In 1833 Mr. Brooks projected Port William pier harbour of refuge, covering an area---of 500 acres with 30 feet of water. The harbour is 1,000 feet in width at the mouth. The village contains several inns and private lodging houses. The surface is flat, and the soil of various qualities, being on the sea side a sandy loam, and farther inland a strong clay producing good wheat crops. The impropriate tithes belong to the Earl of Zetland. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £50. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a modern structure with a tower containing two bells. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship; there is also a Friends' meeting-house. The Earl of Zetland is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013