"MARTON, a parish in the W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles from Middlesborough, its post town, 6 S.E. of Stockton-on-Tees, and 1 mile from the Ormesby station on the Stockton and Darlington railway. The parish, which is wholly agricultural, comprises the hamlets of Newham, Langlands, and Tolesby, also Barnby Moor tower. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £541 16s., and the vicarial for £137 158. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £160, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is a fine stone structure, situated on an eminence at the W. end of the villages. It is of recent erection, and is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum, the rent of lands in Skelton and Broughton. There is a National school for both sexes, which contains a tablet to the famed circumnavigator Captain Cook, who was born of humble parents in this parish on October 27th, 1728. The school has a good library, established by the vicar in 1855, and is open to all persons residing in the village. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. The principal residence is the Hall, a fine old red-brick mansion, situated in a commanding position. It was built in place of the old hall, destroyed by fire in 1832. Henry William Ferdinand Bolckow, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"LANGLANDS, a hamlet in the parish of Marton, North Riding county York, 3 miles W. of Guisbrough."
"NEWHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Marton, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Stokesley."
"TOLESBY, a hamlet in the parish of Marton, North Riding county York, 5 miles N. of Stokesley. In the vicinity is Tolesby Hall."