|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MARTON CUM MOXBY, (and Marton Lordship) a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Ripon; 5 miles E. of Easingwold. Here is a small church (see Churches for photograph), wherein divine service is performed once a fortnight from Easter to Michaelmas, but not at all from Michaelmas to Easter; the living is a vicarage, of which the Archbishop of York, is the patron, and the Rev. D. Duck, the incumbent. Pop. including Moxby, 164.
Bertram de Bulmer in, the time of king Stephen, founded here a Monastery dedicated to St. Mary, for men and women of the order of St. Austin; but the Nuns not long after, were removed to Molesby. It was valued at 151L. 5s. 4d. Dugdale. 183L. 2s. 4d. Speed.
The little that remains of this house is only to be found in and near to a farm house bearing the name of Marton-Abbey. In 34 Henry VIII. 1543, the site was granted to the Archbishop of York, in exchange for other lands. -Burton."
"MOXBY, a farm house in the parish of Marton cum Moxby and wapentake of Bulmer, and liberty of Ripon; 1 mile SSW. of Marton cum Moxby, 3 miles E. of Easingwold."