GENUKI Home page    Masham Parish<br>main page Masham
Parish
main page

MASHAM:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"MASHAM, (or Mashamshire), a parish and market town in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of Bedale, its post town, and 30 N.W. of York. The parish, which is extensive, is traversed by the river Ure and the Leeds and Thirsk railway. It comprises, besides the town of Masham, the townships of Burton-upon-Ure, Ellingstring, High and Low Ellington, Fearby, Ilton-cum-Pott, Swinton-with-Warthermarske, Dallaghill, and Healey-with-Sutton. This place was anciently the residence of the baronial family of Scroop, to which belonged Lord-Treasurer Scroop and Archbishop Scroop, both beheaded in the reign of Henry IV. The manor subsequently came from the Scroops to the Danbys of Swinton. The town stands on the W. bank of the Ure, and the houses axe in general well built. At Hackfall, 3 miles S.E. from the town, are some beautiful walks along the woody bank of the river Ure, which is famed for its fine salmon, trout, &c. The magistrates meet every alternate Tuesday at Bedale. A courtleet is held annually, at which a constable is chosen. There are breweries, malt-houses, and woollen and flax mills, but the town is chiefly supported by agriculture. A portion of the land consists of open moors and fells, which extends from 3 to 6 miles W. of the town. Masham prebend, the richest in the cathedral of York, being rated in the king's books at 136, was dissolved, and made a lay-fee by Archbishop Holgate in 1546. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of 1941, and the vicarial for 236. The living is a vicarage* united with that of Kirkby-Malzeard, in the diocese of Ripon, value 384, in the patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a lofty spired tower containing a clock and six bells. In the interior of the church are several monuments, one of which is to Sir Marmaduke Wyville, Bart., also a brass to Christopher Kay, bearing date 1689. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz: Dallaghill, Grewelthorpe, Hartwith, Healey, Mickley, Middlesmoor, and Ramsgill, the livings of which are all perpetual cure. varying in value from 152 to 86. The charities include six almshouses for aged persons, either male or female, erected in 1853 at the expense of Mrs. Danby Harcourt, of Swinton Park. A grammar school was founded in 1760 by William Danby, who endowed it with property now producing 100 per annum. There is a National school, in which a Sunday-school is held, also a girls' school, built and handsomely endowed at the expense of Mrs. Danby Harcourt. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, have each a place of worship. A mechanics' institute was erected in 1856 as a memorial of the late vicar. Admiral Harcourt is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Market day is Wednesday. A fair is held on the 17th and 18th September for live stock, and during the spring a fair is held on alternate Mondays for cattle and seep."


"BURTON UPON URE, a township in the parish of Masham, wapentake of East Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 1 mile to the N. of Masham. A castle anciently existed here, which was the seat of the Earls of Albemarle, who held the lordship of Holderness. Its site is now called Aldborough."


"DALLOW GILL, (or Dallaghill), a hamlet in the parish of Masham, wapentake of East Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 12 miles W. of Ripon, near Dallow Moor. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value 73, in the patronage of the Vicar of Masham."


"ELLINGSTRING, a township in the parish of Masham, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Masham. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Admiral Harcourt is lord of the manor."


"FEARBY, a township in the parish of Masham, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles W. of Masham, and 6 S.E. of Middleham. The Wesleyans and Reformed Wesleyans have each a chapel. Admiral Harcourt is lord of the manor."


"HEALEY WITH SUTTON, a joint township in the parish of Masham, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 3 miles W. of Masham, and 8 S.E. of Middleham. Bedale is its post town. The village of Healey is small, and the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The land is principally arable, and the soil loamy, upon sandstone subsoil. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Ripon, value 152. The church, dedicated to St. Paul, was erected in 1848. It is a cruciform structure, with spired tower containing one bell, and has three presentation windows. Here is a free school for the education of 20 children of either sex, endowed with 450 and above 11 acres of land. The Sunday-school is held within this building. Admiral Harcourt is lord of the manor."


"ILTON WITH POTT, a township in the parish of Masham, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Masham. The land is principally pasture and meadow. The soil is stony and gravelly. Admiral Harcourt is principal landowner and lord of the manor."


"NETHER ELLINGTON, (and Over Ellington) a township in the parish of Masham, partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, York, and partly in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 212 miles N. of Masham. There is a school for the children of the township. Admiral Harcourt is lord of the manor."


"POTT, a township in the parish of Masham, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Masham. It is in conjunction with Ilton."


"ROOMER, a hamlet in the township of Swinton and parish of Masham, North Riding county York, 1 mile S.W. of Masham."


"SUTTON, a township in the parish of Masham, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles W. of Masham, and 6 S.W. of Bedale. It is joined with Healey."


"SWINTON WITH WATHERMASK, a township in the parish of Masham, partly in the liberty of St. Peter's and partly in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 1 mile S.W. of Masham. The township includes the hamlet of Roomer. The principal seat is Swinton House."


"WARTHERMASK, a hamlet in the parish of Masham, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.W. of Bedale. It forms a township with Swinton."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014