The Ancient Parish of MASHAM
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MASHAM, a parish in the wapentake of Hang East, and liberties of St. Peter's
and Richmondshire; 6 miles from Bedale, and 10 from Ripon. Market, Wednesday.
Fairs, September 17, 18, and 19, for horned cattle, sheep, pedlary-ware, &c.
Principal Inn, Kings Head. The Church, peculiar, is a vicarage, dedicated to St.
Mary (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Catterick, diocese of Chester, value, £30 in the
patronage of Trinity College, Cambridge, under which Lord Grantly, as lessee,
holds the impropriate rectory. William Danby, of Swinton, Esq. is lord of the
manor of Mashamshire, which comprises the whole parish, except the township of
Burton-upon-Ure. The population of Masham amounts to 1171."
(There is further information for Masham).
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Burton Upon Ure
- Druid's Temple
- Gollinglith Foot
- Healey Cote
- Healey With Sutton
- High Burton Hall
- High Ellington
- High Mains
- Lamb Hill
- Low Burton Hall
- Low Ellington
- North Cote
- Nutwith Cote
- Sutton Penn
- Warren House
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
St. Mary's Church, Masham (view 1).
St. Mary's Church, Masham (view 2).
The Methodist Church, Masham, opened in 1892.
The former Methodist Church, Masham, view 1.
The former Methodist Church, Masham, view 2.
The former Baptist Chapel, Masham, view 1 (opened in 1828).
The former Baptist Chapel, Masham, view 2.
The former Roman Catholic Church, Masham.
Wesleyan Chapel, High Ellington, opened in 1877.
The former Methodist Chapel (1848), Ellingstring, opened in 1848.
The former Methodist Chapel, Fearby, opened in 1849, now a private house.
St. Paul's Church, Healey.
- In 1849, the parish of Healey was formed out of parts of Masham
and Kirkby Malzeard parishes and comprised the townships of Healey
(excepting that portion called Sutton), Ellingstring, Fearby, Ilton-cum-Pott,
and detached portions of the townships of Ellington, Masham, and
- This parish is covered (or partly covered) by the following Societies:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015