GENUKI Home page    Masham Parish Masham
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Masham:


"ALDBURGH, a hamlet in the township of Burton-upon-Ure in the parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East; (the seat of James Henry D'Arcy Hutton, Esq.) 1 miles SSE. of Masham. A place of great antiquity; the castle and lordship belonged to William le Gros, Earl of Albemarle, who, in the year 1138, was created Earl of York, in consequence of his gaining "the battle of the Standard," fought at Northallerton. Aldburgh Hall is the residence of James Henry D'Arcy Hutton, Esq."


"BURTON UPON URE, in the parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile NNE. of Masham. This township consists of a number of detached farm houses, at a considerable distance from each other, and includes Aldbrough, a place of great antiquity, where formerly stood the Castle of William le Gros, Earl of Albemarle, who, in the year 1138, was created Earl of York, in consequence of his gaining the battle of the Standard, near Northallerton, in that year. High Burton is a farm-house, formerly the seat of the Wyvil's, a family of great distinction. Population, 170."


"DRUID'S TEMPLE, a folly in the township of Ilton-with-Pott, and parish of Masham; 4 miles from Masham.

This place consists of a collection of singularly rude stones, erected at the expence of William Danby, Esq. of Swinton, upon whose moors it is situated."


"ELLINGSTRING, in the parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of St. Peter's; 3 miles WNW. of Masham. Here is a small Methodist chapel. Pop. 204."


"FEARBY, in the parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 miles WNW. of Masham. Pop. 214."


"GOLLINGLITH FOOT, a hamlet in the township of Healey-with-Sutton, and parish of Masham; 4 miles W. of Masham, 4 miles from Masham."


"HEALEY COTE, (High and Low), 2 farm houses in the township of Healey-with-Sutton, and parish of Masham; 3 miles W. from Masham."


"HEALEY WITH SUTTON, in the parish of Masham, waps. of Hang East and West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles W. of Masham, 3 miles W. of Masham. A school was erected here in 1820, by William Danby. Esq. of Swinton Park, and endowed with 11 acres, 2 roods, and 18 perches of land, a donation of 450. having been given by Mr. William Heslington, of Masham. Population, 413."


"HIGH BURTON HALL, a farm house in the township of Burton-upon-Ure, and parish of Masham; 1 miles N. of Masham."


"HIGH ELLINGTON, in the parish of Masham, and wapentake of Hang East; 2 miles NW. of Masham. Pop. 152."


"HIGH MAINS, (and Low Mains) in the parish of Masham, and wapentake of Hang East; 1 miles NNW. of Masham."


"ILTON, in the parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles SW. of Masham, 3 miles SW. of Masham. Pop. including Pott, 266."


"LAMB HILL, a farm house in the township of Burton-upon-Ure, and parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles SE. of Masham. The residence of Mrs. Ann Wilkinson."


"LEIGHTON, 2 farm houses in the parish of Masham, and wapentake of Hang East; 3 miles W. of Masham."


"LOW BURTON HALL, a farm house in the township of Burton-upon-Ure, and parish of Masham; mile NE. of Masham."


"LOW ELLINGTON, in the township of High-Ellington and parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East, a part in the liberty of St. Peter's; 2 miles NNW. of Masham."


"NORTH COTE, a farm house in the township of Burton-upon-Ure, and parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East; half a mile E. of Masham."


"NUTWITH COTE, a farm house in the township of Burton-upon-Ure, and parish of Masham; 1 miles SSE. of Masham."


"ROOMER, a hamlet in the township of Swinton, and parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang-East; 2 miles from Masham, 8 from Ripon."


"SUTTON, in the parish of Masham, and wapentake of Hang East; 1 miles NW. of Masham, Pop. included with Healey."


"SUTTON PENN, 3 farm houses in the township of Healey-with-Sutton, and parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang-East; 1 miles NW. of Masham."


"SWINTON, in the parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; (the seat of William Danby, Esq.); 1 mile S. of Masham. Population including Wardermask, 177.

The house at Swinton, which boasts a fine collection of pictures, both by ancient and modern masters an excellent assortment of ores, minerals, &c. properly classified, has attached to it a beautiful park and pleasure grounds, inferior to none in this part of the country.

With much trouble and expence the worthy proprietor has brought from a distance of several miles, a small stream through his gardens and park, which in some places beaks into very fine lakes; in others, contracts into the size of a little rill, which winds through the woods in a most pleasing manner; here falling into cascades, it enlivens the whole scene; then withdraws from the eye, and hides itself in the dark bosom of tufted groves. The rosy bower, and regular garden adjoining the house, will afford to many visitors the greatest treat, but to those who are fond of the picturesque and romantic Quarry Gill, will be found to possess the most striking beauties, particularly when it is full of water. These grounds are open for public accommodation. Mr Danby has recently made considerable additions to his collection of paintings. The house is undergoing some material alterations, and a gallery is to be erected purposely for the pictures."


"WARREN HOUSE, a farm house in the township of Ellington, and parish of Masham; 3 miles from Masham."


"WARTHERMARSKE, in the township of Swinton, and parish of Masham, wapentake of Hang-East, a part in the liberty of St. Peter; 1 miles SW. of Masham, 2 miles SSW. of Masham, 4 from Bedale."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014