"MELSONBY, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Richmond, containing 440. inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £10. 2. 11., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of University College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. James. In 1757, William Cockin bequeathed an estate for the instruction of poor children; the annual profits are £26, for which eight children are instructed."