Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades
for MIDDLEHAM in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Places of Worship.
- Parish Church - Rev. J. G. B. Knight; Sundays, 10-30 a.m., 6-30 p.m.;
daily, 10 a.m.
- Primitive Methodist - Rev. J. C. Livesey; Sundays, 2-0 p.m., 6-30 p.m.;
Thursdays, 7-0 p.m.
- Wesleyan - Rev. W. A. Phillips; Sundays, 10-30 am., 6-30 p.m.; Mondays
(alternate), 7-30 p.m.
Public Offices, Institutions, &c.
- Assistant Overseer and Collector of Taxes - John Barker, senr.
- Middleham Gas and Coke Co., Ltd. - William Anton, sec. and manager
- Parish Clerk and Sexton - James Rumford
- Police Station - Daniel Daniels, acting sergt.
- Reading and Recreation Rooms - W. Swale, hon. sec. and treas.; open from
9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Registrar of Births and Deaths - J. Barker, junr.
- Town Crier, Castle Keeper, and Pinder - James Rumford
- Town Hall - Christopher Hall, caretaker
- Waterworks Officer - William Swale
Conveyance to and from Leyburn.
- Busses from the White Swan Hotel, and Thomas Morgan's, to meet all trains
- To Leyburn - Daily, Peter Yeoman
- To Masham, Ripon, and Leeds - Thursdays, at 8-0 a.m.; William Siddal. Returns
from Leeds on Fridays, at 12-30 p.m.; Ripon, Saturdays, 9-0 a.m.; Masham, 1-0 p.m.
- To Richmond - Saturdays, at 6-0 a.m.; Thomas Walker. Returns at 1-0 p.m.
- Post, Money Order, Telegraph, Assurance and Annuity, and Inland Revenue Stamp Office -
Henry Brown, postmaster. Letters arrive from London and all parts via Bedale at 8-0 a.m.
and 5-20 p.m., and are despatched at 5-0 p.m. The office is open for ordinary business and
sale of postal orders from 7-0 a.m. to 8-0 p.m.; for telegraph business, from 8-0 a.m. to
8-0 p.m.; and for the issue and payment of money orders, from 9-0 a.m. to 6-0 p.m.
Saturdays, till 8-0 p.m. On Sundays the office is open, for the sale of stamps,
delivery of letters to callers, and telegraph business, from 8-0 to 10-0 a.m.
Miscellany of trades
- Anton John, printer and newsagent
- Barker John, junr., registrar of births and deaths, Middleham district
- Barker John, senr., assistant overseer and collector of taxes
- Barrow Mrs. Mary, The Mount
- Birch Mrs. M. F., Glasgow house
- Brown Henry, postmaster
- Busfield Mrs. Mary Elizabeth, Castle hill
- Cockcroft John, M.D., medical officer and public vaccinator, Middleham eastern, and Leyburn
western districts, Market place
- Cockcroft William, M.R.C.S., L.S.A., medical officer and public vaccinator, Middleham
western district, Kirkgate
- Croft Angelo James (S. Croft & Sons)
- Croft Henry Linley (S. Croft & Sons)
- Croft James (S. Croft & Sons)
- Croft Samuel (S. Croft & Sons)
- Dawson Miss Mary, West cottage
- Dawson Thomas (J. Dawson & Sons), draper
- Drislane John, trainer
- Edmundson G., M.R.C.V.S., veterinary surgeon
- Fitch Henry Edward, florist, Market place
- Groves Mrs. Fanny, Toby cottage
- Handley Mrs. Fanny, Peartree house
- Hogg Mr. Thomas
- Johnson Mr. Henry
- Jones Miss Hannah
- Knight Rev. John George Bury, M.A. (diocesan inspector of schools and surrogate), The Rectory
- Livesey Rev. Jph. Chas. (Primitive Methodist)
- Longbotham Mrs. Elizabeth, Jessamine house
- Longbotham John, chemist, Market place
- Lye Miss Mary Helen, Peartree house
- Maughan Hugh, solicitor, deputy sheriff North Riding of Yorkshire, Neville hall
- Maughan Thomas, Esq., Neville hall
- Miller John Ernest, sporting correspondent
- Other Mrs. Christopher
- Other Thomas, Esq., The Grove
- Peacock Matthew Dobson, gentleman rider and farmer, Manor house
- Pepperday Mrs. Mary
- Phillips Rev. William Allen (Wesleyan)
- Roantree T. H. L. (Roantree & Son), saddler
- Seddon Mr. William, Rose cottage
- Sturdy Miss Elizabeth
- Swale John, farmer, Market place
- Swale Thomas Edward, farmer, chairman Board of Guardians and Rural Sanitary Authority
Leyburn Union, Kirkgate house Swale William, wine and spirit merchant, Market place
- Topham Miss Annie, Middleham house
- Whaley Miss Anne, The Priory
- Winter Mr. John Hampton
TRADES AND PROFESSIONS.
Academies & Schools.
- Auton Miss Mary, Clarendon house
- Birch Memorial; John Cunningham, master; Miss E. Hume, asst. mistress; Mrs.
Mary H. Jackson, mistress (Infants)
- Calvert Mrs. Sarah
- Kirkbride John
Boot and Shoe Makers and Dealers.
Marked (d) are dealers only.
- d Binks Thomas
- d Clarkson John
- Croft Benjamin
- Dinsdale William
- Nicholson Charles Robert
- Watson John
- Ryles Thomas
- Tennant William James
- Thorpe James
- Bowes Thomas Other (and temperance hotel)
- Harrison Orlando (Saturdays); h Carlton
- Simpson James, sen., and Son (John), (Wednesdays and Saturdays); h Carlton
Carriers & Cartowners.
Marked (c) is cartowner only.
- Morgan Thomas
- Siddall W. (and butter factor)
- c Walker John
- Walker Thomas
- Yeoman Peter
- Coates William (and implement maker), Kirkgate
- Storey John, and vict., White Swan
Drapers and Grocers.
Marked (d) is draper only.
- Croft Mrs., Kirkgate
- Dawson J. & Sons, Market pl
- Johnson Mrs. A. Edmondson
- d Tennant John Handley, Victoria house
- Allen Miss Elizabeth Hannah
- Howe Mrs. Margaret
- Taylor Miss Annie
- Walker Mrs. Jonathan
- Watson Miss Annie
- Ashton Thomas
- Blades G. (and mail contractor)
- Coates William, Brough's farm
- Croft John Thomas
- Heslop William, Gelpool; h Leyburn
- Horne William and John, West Park; h Preston
- Horner John, Sharp Hill farm
- Morton William
- Peacock Matthew Dobson, Manor House Stud farm
- Swale Thomas Edwd. & John, The Parks
- Walker Christopher
- Walker Thomas
Hotels and Inns.
- Black Bull; Edward Severs
- Black Swan; Edward Lowis
- Castle; Thomas Lofthouse
- Commercial; Henry Beswick
- Golden Lion; Mrs. D. Dinsdale
- White Swan (and posting); John Storey
- Fire Insurance Association; J. Turner, Kirkgate
- Phoenix; J. Barker, Market pl
- Prudential; William Bywell, Church street
- Scottish Equitable; Henry L. Croft
- Yorkshire Fire and Life; Mrs. A. E. Johnson
- Calvert William
- Clarkson Christopher
- Clarkson John
- Lambert Matthew
Painters & Plumbers.
- Collinson Dobson
- Croft Angelo James, senior
- Croft S. & Sons (and ironmgs.)
Saddlers and Harness Makers.
- Roantree & Son, Market pl. - (See Advt.)
- Taylor Thomas
- Allen Mrs. Alice
- Anderson John Henry
- Binks Thomas
- Clarkson John
- Pratt Mrs. Elizabeth
- Siddall Mrs. Ellen
- Tennant William James
- Wilson Mrs. Annie
Tailors & Outfitters.
- Bywell William
- Mudd Thomas
- Rumford James
- Atkinson David, turf reporter
- Cartwright J., marine store dlr.
- Dandridge James, greengrocer
- Dixon Geo., castrator, Sonskue house
- Dobbie John, turf reporter
- Dobson John, watchmaker
- Handley Miss Eliza, cowkeeper and milk seller
- Ibbotson Henry, sugar boiler
- Lee William, horse breaker
- Turner Jas., solicitor's clerk, Kirkgate
- Varo Miss A. E., invalids' nurse
- Whitfield H., vet, surgeon
- Winn William, gardener
- Wray James Robinson, hairdresser, tobacconist, and fishing tackle dealer
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©CRH 2006
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
[Last updated at 18.55 on Sunday, 29 May 2011, by Colin Hinson. ©2011]