GENUKI Home page    Middleton Parish<br>main page Middleton
Parish
main page

MIDDLETON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"MIDDLETON, a parish in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Cowthorn, Cropton, Hartoft, Lockton, Middleton, Rosedale (East side), Wretton, and part of Aislaby, and containing 1727 inhabitants, of which number, 247 are in the township of Middleton, 1 mile W.N.W. from Pickering. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 10. 11. 8., endowed with 6 per annum private benefaction, 200 royal bounty, and 400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Devisees of the Rev. J. Robinson."


"AISLABY, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON, western division of PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.N.W. from Pickering, containing 147 inhabitants."


"COWTHORN, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from Pickering, containing 22 inhabitants."


"CROPTON, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles N.N.W. from Pickering, containing 321 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. An estate forming part of the parish charity lands, producing about 23 per annum, has been appropriated to the support of a school in which twelve children are educated. There are various tumuli within the township, thought to be British, and a high mount called Cropton Castle, at the base of which are distinct traces of a Roman road, and near it vestiges of a Roman camp."


"HARTOFT, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, containing 134 inhabitants."


"LOCKTON, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.E. from Pickering, containing 324 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"ROSEDALE EASTSIDE, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 10 miles N.N.W. from Pickering, containing 339 inhabitants. Thomas Pierson, in 1720, gave a rent-charge of 5 for teaching five children."


"WRELTON, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON, PICKERING lythe, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles W.N.W. from Pickering, containing 193 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014