Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for MIDDLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

MIDDLETON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"MIDDLETON, a parish and township in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 1 mile W. of Pickering, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated near the line of the Whitby railway, and on the high-road between Pickering and Kirkbymoorside. The parish includes the townships of Aislaby, Cawthorn, Cropton, Hartoft, Lockton, Middleton, Rosedale, East-Side, Turnhill, and Wrelton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil consists of red sandstone and limestone, and the nether lands of strong clay. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £100. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower containing four bells. There are chapels-of-ease at Cropton and Lockton. The parochial charities produce about 10s. per annum. There is a parochial school, which is partly endowed, also a Sunday-school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. Thomas Mitchelton, Esq., is lord of the manor."


"AISLABY, a township in the parish of Middleton, lythe of Pickering, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N.W. of Pickering, and near the Whitby railway"


"CAWTHORN, a township in the parish of Middleton, in the wapentake of Pickering Lythe, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles N.W. of Pickering, and 8 E. of Kirkbymoorside. The lord of the manor is Col. Mitchelson. Near here may be seen in excellent preservation four Roman camps, through which the military road ran from York to Dunsley."


"CROPTON, a chapelry in the parish of Middleton, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3½ miles N.W. of Pickering. It is situated on the river Severn, which rises under Ralph's Cross in the moors. There are traces of an old road and British tumuli. The charities amount to £34 per annum."


"HARTOFT, a township in the parish of Middleton, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 2 miles from Pickering."


"LOCKTON, a chapelry in the parish of Middleton, wapentake of Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Pickering. The Lewisham station, on the Whitby branch of the North-Eastern line of railway, is about 2 miles distant from the village. The soil is partly under cultivation, the rest being moorland. There is a small chapel-of-ease. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have places of worship."


"ROSEDALE EAST SIDE, a township in the parish of Middleton, Pickering Lythe, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.E. of Kirkbymoorside, and 10 N.W. of Pickering railway station. It is situated in the moors under Shunner Fell, at the head of the river Severn, which here turns an extensive corn mill. It comprises the hamlet of Hartoft. There are several quarries of good flagstone, and coal of an inferior quality is found. The chapel-of-ease was rebuilt in 1889. There is a village school."


"WRELTON, a township in the parish of Middleton, North Riding county York, 2½ miles N.W. of Pickering."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013