"MIDDLETON TYAS, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Middleton- Tyas with Kneeton, and Moulton, and containing 805 inhabitants, of which number, 569 are in the township of Middleton-Tyas with Kneeton, 5 miles N.E. from Richmond. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £15. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is a handsome uniform structure."
"MOULTON, a township in the parish of MIDDLETON-TYAS, eastern division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 mjies E.N.E. from Richmond, containing 236 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]