"MYTON UPON SWALE, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 3½ miles E. of Boroughbridge, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated at the confluence of the rivers Swale and Ure, and over the former river is a ferry at this place. A battle was fought in this parish in 1319 between the Scots and about 10,000 English, amongst whom was a great number of priests, headed by Melton, Archbishop of York, in which the latter were defeated. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £150, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower containing three bells. The chancel windows are of richly stained glass, representing the arms of the Stapylton family. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. It was erected in 1847, at the expense of Mrs. Margaret Stapylton, and by whom it is entirely supported. Myton Hall, the principal residence, is a white mansion situated near the ferry. It is the seat of Stapylton Stapylton, Esq., who is lord of the manor and sole landowner."