GENUKI Home page    Newton Upon Ouse Parish<br>main page Newton Upon Ouse
Parish
main page

NEWTON UPON OUSE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"NEWTON UPON OUSE, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Benningbrough, Linton upon Ouze, and Newton upon Ouze, and containing 862 inhabitants, of which number, 495 are in the township of Newton upon Ouze, 8 miles N.W. from York. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Lord of the Manor of Newton, endowed with 200 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Mrs. Earle. The church is a very handsome structure. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodjsts."


"BENNINGBROUGH, a township in the parish of NEWTON-UPON-OUSE, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles N.W. from York, containing 99 inhabitants."


"LINTON UPON OUSE, a township in the parish of NEWTON-UPON-OUSE, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles S.S.W. from Easingwold, containing 268 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics; also a school with a small endowment."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014