GENUKI Home page    Newton Upon Ouse Parish<br>main page Newton Upon Ouse
Parish
main page

NEWTON UPON OUSE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"NEWTON UPON OUSE, a parish and township in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 9 miles N.W. of York, its post town, and 3 from the Shipton railway station. It is situated on the river Ouse, and comprises the townships of Newton, Benningborough, and Linton. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil is various, with a subsoil of clay and sand. There are extensive brick kilns. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value 300. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a modern edifice with a lofty spired tower containing three bells. The interior of the church iselaborately fitted up. There are several brasses and effigies of great interest. A S.E. chancel window has recently been inserted at the expense of the Hon. Lady Dawnay. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt at the expense of the Hon. Lydia Frances Catherine Dawnay. The parochial charities produce about 18 9s. per annum. There is a Church of England school, held in a red brick building, educating above 100 children, and supported by the Hon. Payan and Miss Dawnay. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans. An agricultural show is held annually."


"BENNINGBROUGH, a township in the parish of Newton-upon-Ouse, wapentake of Bulmer, in the North Riding of the county of York, 6 miles to the N.W. of York. It is seated on the banks of the river Ouse. Benningbrough Hall is the chief residence."


"LINTON UPON OUSE, a township in the parish of Newton-upon-Ouse, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 1 mile W. of Newton-upon-Ouse, and 6 miles S.W. of Easingwold. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. Formerly this township was very productive in its growth of flax. There is an endowed Church of England school, with an annuity of 25. The township is the property of University College, Oxford."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014