"NORMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Normanby andThornton-Risebrough, and containing 223 inhabitants, of which number, 191 are in the township of Normanby, 5 miles W.S.W. from Pickering. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king!s books at £9. 12. 6., and in the patronage of Arthur Cayley, Esq. Five poor children are educated for £6 a year, arising from a rent-charge left by Judith Boynton, in 1700. Here is a sulphureous mineral spring, the water of which contains carbonic acid and a small portion of neutral salt, and is taken as an alterative and purgative. Normanby gives the title of viscount to the family of Phipps, Earls of Mulgrave."
"THORNTON RISEBROUGH, a township in the parish of NORMANBY, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.W. from Pickering, containing 32 inhabitants."