"NORMANBY, a parish in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 5 miles from Kirby-Moorside, its post town, 5 W. by S. of Pickering, and 6 from Amotherby railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Severn, and on the high road from Kirby-Moorside to Malton. The parish includes the township of Thornton-Riseborough. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a clayey nature on a subsoil of clay. About two-thirds of the land are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture, except 15 acres of woodland. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £509. The church is an ancient Norman structure, with a low tower, partly rebuilt in 1718. There is a parochial school for children of both sexes, with a small endowment. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, at which a Sunday-school is also held. In the neighbourhood is a mineral spa, the water of which contains carbonic acid and a small proportion of neutral salt. S. Walker, Esq., is lord of the manor. It gives title of marquis to the Phipps family."
"THORNTON RISEBROUGH, a township in the parish of Normanby, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Pickering, and 4½ from Kirkby-Moorside. The soil consists of deep loam, with a subsoil of clay and gravel. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum, which is devoted to educational purposes. Mrs. Wrangham is lady of the manor and principal landowner."