Parish main page
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Ryedale - Electoral Division and Poor Law Union of Kirbymoorside - County Court District of Malton - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish includes the township of its own name and Thornton Risebrough, their united area being 2,363 acres, and population 213. The surface is undulated and the scenery pleasingly diversified. Normanby township contains 1,768 acres; rateable value, £1,726; population, 178. The principal landowners are Messrs. Grayson, Pickering, to whom also the manorial rights belong; William Wood, Normanby; Sir George A. Cayley, Bart., Brompton; the trustees of G. F. Wormald; Gerald Duncombe, Esq., Uttoxeter; and Earl Feversham.
The village is small, but pleasantly situated on the banks of the Seven. The church, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is a plain edifice, partially rebuilt in 1718. It was originally built in the Norman period, and still retains a few traces of its Norman architecture. The living is a rectory, gross value £600, with residence, in the patronage of the Rev. J. R. Hill, and held by the Rev. J. Hill.
The school is endowed with a rent-charge of £6 a year, left by Lady Judith Boynton, in 1700; and £5 a year is also received from Stockton's Charity (See Nawton). The Wesleyans have a neat chapel in the village, rebuilt in 1879.
THORNTON RISEBROUGH is a small township, containing 595 acres, the property of Thomas Harrison, Esq., J.P., who purchased the estate in 1878. Rateable value, £735; number of inhabitants, 35. There is a sulphur spring at Risebrough.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.