Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Northallerton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Northallerton

[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]

"NORTHALLERTON, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 8 miles from Bedale. 9 from Thirsk, and 16 from Richmond. This is a brisk market town, pleasantly situated on the side of a rising ground, gently sloping towards the east. Market, Wednesday. Fairs, Feb. 14, for horses and horned cattle, &c. and a week preceding, for horses only; May 5 and 6, for horses, horned cattle, sheep, leather, woollen-cloth, &c. Sept. 5 and 6, for horned cattle, sheep, leather, &c. October 3 and 4, for horned cattle, sheep, &c. second Wednesday in October for cheeses. Principal inns, Golden Lion, and Kings Head. Population 2,626. The Church, peculiar, is a vicarage, dedicated to All Saints, in the deanry of Cleveland, (see also below). Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. It returns two Members to Parliament, a priviledge first granted in the 26th Edward I. The Bishop of Durham's Bailiff is the returning officer. --There are 204 burgage houses, 92 of which are the property of the Earl of Harewood, and Herny Peirse Esq." (There is further information for Northallerton).

Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.

  • Brompton
  • Brompton Granges
  • Broomfield
  • Bullamoor Houses
  • Crosby Cote
  • Deighton
  • High Worsall
  • Lazenby Hall
  • Leasecar
  • Romanby
  • Standard Hill
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
topup

Cemeteries

  • The Monumental inscriptions for Northallerton Upper Cemetery have been transcribed by Robert Walker, along with an index and plan of the sections involved.

Churches

topup

Church History

topup

Church Records

topup

Description and Travel

topup

Directories

topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Northallerton to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Genealogy

topup

History

  • Between 1823 and 1890 the chapelry of Brompton (in this parish) became a parish in its own right. See Brompton Parish.
topup

Memorial Inscriptions

topup

Military Records

  • A book describing the men named on the War Memorials for Northallerton, Romanby and Brompton in World War II (see above) is available.
  • The Northallerton Memorials Project aims to produce a record of the men from Northallerton, Brompton and Romanby, in North Yorkshire, England, who lost their lives in World War One. If anyone has any comments about the site or any further information about these men, or the actions in which they were killed, please contact Steve Metcalfe (email address on website).

Monumental Inscriptions

  • See under "Cemeteries" above.
topup

Societies

topup

Town Records