GENUKI Home page    Northallerton Parish Northallerton
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Northallerton:


"BROMPTON, in the parish of Northallerton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1 miles NNE. of Northallerton. The living is a perpetual curacy, incumbent the Rev. R. G. Bouyer. Besides the church here are two chapels belonging to the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. In the year 1694, a farm was, left by the Rev. John Kettlewell, the rent of which was at that time 44. the proceeds of which were to be expended in instructing and apprenticing poor children in this township and that of Northallerton, which, in consequence of the increased value of land is now a very considerable charity. The memorable battle of the Standard was fought in this township in the year 1138. Here is a considerable manufactory of linen cloth, in which there are upwards of three hundred weavers employed. Population, 1,223."


"BROMPTON GRANGES, 3 farm houses in the township of Brompton, and parish of Northallerton; 2 miles from Northallerton."


"BROOMFIELD, a farm house in the township of Romanby, and parish of Northallerton; 2 miles from Northallerton."


"BULLAMOOR HOUSES, 3 or 4 houses in the parish of Northallerton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 1 miles E. of Northallerton."


"CROSBY COTE, (later Crosby Court), 2 farm houses in the township of Thornton-le-beans, and parish of Northallerton; 2 miles SE. from Northallerton."


"DEIGHTON, in the parish of Northallerton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire 5 miles N. of Northallerton. Here is a Chapel of Ease, under the vicarage of Northallerton, the Rev. Edward Gibson, of Brompton, curate. This village is chiefly the property of Sir Robert Preston, Bart. Pop. 134."


"HIGH WORSALL, in the parish of Northallerton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 9 miles N. of Northallerton, 4 miles SSW. of Yarm. Here is a Chapel of Ease, under the vicar of Northallerton, Rev. John Graves, of Yarm, perpetual curate; the living has lately been endowed with Queen Ann's bounty. (Sometime after 1891 this chapel became ruinous and the walls reduced to shoulder height. A new Chapel (All Saints) was then built at Low Worsall). The principal inhabitant in this village is Thomas Meynell, Esq. Pop. 154."


"LAZENBY HALL, a farm house in the parish of Northallerton, and wapentake of Allertonshire ; 3 miles NW. of Northallerton."


"LEASECAR, a farm house in the township of Brompton, and parish of Northallerton; 3 miles N. of Northallerton."


"ROMANBY, in the parish of Northallerton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; mile SW. of Northallerton, 1 mile S. of Northallerton. A small pleasant village, which derived its name from the Roman road passing by it. Pop. 294."


"STANDARD HILL, in the parish of Northallerton, wapentake and liberty of Allertonshire; 2 miles NNW. of Northallerton; where the English standard was placed at the battle of the Standard, in the year 1138. (See Northallerton.) The house on the hill is occupied by Mr. William Swinburn, farmer."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014