"NORTH OTTERINGTON, a parish comprising the townships of North Otterington and Thornton le Beans, in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, and the township of Thornton le Moor, in that of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, and containing 585 inhabitants, of which number, 44 are in the township of North Otterington, 3 miles S. from North Allerton. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the jurisdiction of the peculiar court of Allertonshire, belonging to the Bishop of Durham, rated in the king's books at £4, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Michael."
"THORNTON LE BEANS, a township in that part of the parish of NORTH-OTTERINGTON, which is in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.E. from North Allerton, containing 247 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
"THORNTON LE MOOR, a township in that part of the parish of NORTH-OTTERINGTON, which is in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.N.W. from Thirsk, containing 294 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chapel of ease, the remains of which have been converted into a schoolroom; there is no endowment."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]