"NORTH OTTERINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Northallerton, its post town and railway station, and 8 from Thirsk. It is situated on a branch of the river Swale, and contains the townships of Thornton-le-Beans, Thornton-le-Moor, and North Otterington. The line of the Great Northern railway runs through the district. The appropriation belongs to the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The living is a vicarage* annexed to that of Thornton-le-Street, in the diocese of York, value £130, in the patronage of Christ Church, Oxford. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure, with a low tower containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum."
"THORNTON LE BEANS, a township in the parish of North Otterington, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 8½ miles E. of Bedale, and 4 S. of Northallerton. The village is situated near the turnpike road from York to Darlington. The enclosure of the moorlands took place in 1652. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel."
"THORNTON LE MOOR, a township in the parish of North Otterington, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Thirsk, near the Great North of England railway. There was formerly a chapel-of-ease, now converted into a school."