"NUNNINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rysdale, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Helmsley, 2 N. of Hovingham, and 2 E. of Oswaldkirk. York is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated in the fertile vale of the river Rye, and on the high road between Kirkbymoorside and York. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The higher grounds command extensive views of Ryedale and the adjacent country. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1776. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £284. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure with a square tower, containing three bells. The church was rebuilt in 1678 by Ronald Grahme, at which time the same gentleman founded a hospital and school, with an annuity of £20, which has since been increased. There is a charity of about £9 per annum. A Sunday-school is held at the school-room. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is an ancient building at the E. end of the village, formerly the residence of Viscount Preston, but now converted into a farm-house. William Rutson, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The celebrated ram show of Mr. T. Stamper is held on the first Friday in August."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016