GENUKI Home page    Nunnington Parish<br>main page Nunnington
main page

Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"NUNNINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Rysdale, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.E. of Helmsley, 2 N. of Hovingham, and 2 E. of Oswaldkirk. York is its post town. The village, which is small, is situated in the fertile vale of the river Rye, and on the high road between Kirby-Moorside and York. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The higher grounds command extensive views of Ryedale and the adjacent country. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1776. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £284. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a stone structure with a square tower, containing three bells. The church was rebuilt in 1678 by Ronald Grahme, at which time the same gentleman founded a hospital and school, with an annuity of £20, which has since been increased. There is a charity of about £9 per annum. A Sunday-school is held at the school-room. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is an ancient building at the E. end of the village, formerly the residence of Viscount Preston, but now converted into a farm-house. William Rutson, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The celebrated ram show of Mr. T. Stamper is held on the first Friday in August."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015